Monday, January 10, 2011

Questions Questions Questions

In my four months of being a mom I've learned a lot. I've learned that I actually can function on only 4-5 hours of sleep a night; that family members are no longer excited to see me when we get together, instead Dax; that baby socks, particularly Dax's right sock, needs to be glued on; that before having a baby I had WAY too much time on my hands; that I am now ambidextrous (due to circumstances like feeding a baby with right hand and feeding myself with left, etc); and the one that probably came as the biggest surprise... that people are full of questions and opinions...
"Why are you doing this?"  "Why are you not doing that?"  
"Why would you do that?" 
"We did that and we turned out fine." "That's just a silly thing to do/not do."
When I hear all these questions I instantly want to respond back with the quick snap of, "because we want to."  But instead I try to explain our reasoning usually only to get back another smart remark or opinion or a simple nod with the look of "you're absolutely crazy" written across their face. 
Daniel & I are different (as our close friends and family can attest to :). We don't do things just because it's what always been done, or because it's what other people say to do, or because it's the easy way out. We put a lot of thought into the daily choices we make in our life and consider the long term effects of our choices.  Yeah we may do things that the normal everyday person wouldn't do, and yeah we might find things very important that other people blow off, but whatever it is we're doing you can guarantee it wasn't just done by chance.  

* Yes, we are doing sign language with Dax.
* No, we don't let Dax watch TV and won't... not for a LONG time
* Yes, we buy vegetarian and organic food, and plan on doing so with Dax as much as possible.
* Yes, we plan on making homemade baby food for him.
* No, we will not let him cry it out. 
* No, we aren't feeding him food yet. We are waiting until 6 months and will then start with our HOMEMADE, ORGANIC baby food :)


I don't mind answering questions about the choices we make if you are genuinely and sincerely curious about it and willing to look at my response with an open mind... but if you plan on responding with a smart remark or silly look upon your face... just save it for another day :) 


 I highly recommend this book for anyone that has even the slightest thought of signing with your little one. I LOVE it and it will probably be my new gift to all of my expecting friends :)



 One Love <3


2 comments:

  1. Kandice I think its great that ya'll take such care in all your decisions! And I love that you are doing signing with Dax... I work in a child care facility that uses sign at all ages and you can really see a difference and its so fun to see the kids learn it more and more everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I need that book!

    Also, our posts were a little similar this week! (about the food, anyway). you guys are GREAT parents... don't let anyone make you feel silly for doing what you think is best. :)

    ReplyDelete