Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Simple Life

Since Daniel is in medical school still,  I'm currently the only "income" in our house. We do get living expense money from the school which we would not survive without, but since that is received with the beginning of the school year, come late July and August things start getting tight for us. So thinking ahead to then we've started trying to cut back where ever we can in preparation for then.  We had been contemplating getting rid of cable for like a year now.... not necessarily because we are so tight that the extra $60 would make a big difference, but because we simply don't need it (there is really NO time for TV with a baby around anyways).
Well we're going on about week three of no cable in our house and I absolutely LOVE it. You really don't realize how much the TV takes away from your day to day life until it's gone. We now only have whatever channels the antenna picks up (abc, nbc, fox, cbs, random church channels, and random spanish channels) so needless to say, there's not much on unless it's primetime. The first weekend of not having TV was so refreshing. I woke up early with the baby, and instead of turning the TV on I sat in the quiet room for a little while, listening to Dax talk and play, and later turned on some music to listen to. It was so nice! I realized that I pretty much just turn on the TV for the sound... yet end up getting distracted by the ever changing picture on the TV. As corny as it may sound I feel like I was so much more "in touch" with what was going on with my surroundings and I absolutely loved it.
So... here's my sale pitch... If you're looking for ways to cut money here and there..... I HIGHLY recommend getting rid of cable. Between music, Netflix, Redbox, shows on the internet, and simply talking to and spending time with your family, you're sure to be just fine without it.

Puppy Love!!! haha! Don't worry I didn't let her lick his face! lol

1 comment:

  1. I have been strongly considering this. It really is a waste.

    ReplyDelete