Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let's Explore!!

So I feel like a total slacker because until yesterday I hadn't done any art with Dax while we've been at home together all summer! I taught toddlers for over a year and it has been my absolute favorite group to ever teach. They're so curious and their tendency to learn through their senses makes for some very fun art projects!  I've done pudding paint with kids but didn't really want Dax to have the sugar and preservatives that come in pudding. So instead I thought I would try painting with yogurt!  It's something that Dax can smell, taste, see, and feel so I thought it would be perfect!  Here's my adventure in Yogurt painting with little man yesterday :)
So we started with yogurt (which we just happened to have because Dax eats it almost everyday with his dinner), food coloring, and a couple bowls. I only had red and green food coloring left so 2 bowls were all we needed.
I put one big spoonful of yogurt in each bowl but I really could have used about half of that. A small amount of yogurt went far!
I added one drop of food coloring to each bowl and mixed it up really good.
If you look closely you can see that the paper is taped to the tray. Another very handy tip I learned teaching toddlers. If you don't tape it down it will more than likely end up on the floor making for a bigger mess than you want. When I tape I also tape all.the.way.around. the paper. I don't leave any little untaped spots because little finger will instantly find that spot and end up tearing their artwork.... breaking your heart more than theirs :)   You also want to make sure you use construction paper or finger paint paper. If you use just regular printer paper it will wrinkle up when it dries. I didn't have white so black it was :/
He loved it! Something else to remember is to do art without close on....  because as you can see it always ends up on their belly!
We added a spoon in a little later. He really liked it... mostly because it was more effective at eating yogurt than licking his fingers was :)
The finished product!!! When it dried the color was still there. I would def. recommend painting on white paper to anyone planning to try yogurt paint out because when it dried completely the color wasn't very bright on against the black.

Well that was our art adventure yesterday! Hopefully now that things have calmed down around here we'll be able to do things a little more often... if so, you'll be  the first to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment