Monday, March 4, 2013

You learn so much in med school

As wives of those studying to be a doctor, you start medical school knowing how much is going to be learned over the next four years. You know days and nights are going to be spent studying, you know they will start speaking medicine in their dreams, and you know long hours will be spent away from home as they perfect their trade .

But I know for me... as I'm sure is the case for most women that have gone through medical school alongside their spouse.... what I was most surprised by was how much I myself would learn and grow over the next four years.

Growing up I was the youngest child and always had someone around me that I could depend on. I had a quieter, more reserved personality so when out and about I would let others do most of the talking and interacting for me. I have the personality trait that many Native Americans have (as did my grandfather and dad) where I like to sit back, watch, and listen to what's going on in the world around me more than be up in the middle of all the action. I was also a very "dependent" person. I didn't like to do things alone and clenched on to whoever was around me. And "initiative".... not in my vocabulary.
Now after almost 4 full years of medical school under our belts, I can proudly say that most of those traits are in the past (don't get me wrong... there is still plenty of room for more growth). I now consider myself very strong, independent woman. Being thrown into life (especially with a little one) where your spouse is so busy they can hardly take care of themselves, let alone anything else that needs to get done, will make you quickly adapt to being able to take care of business on your own. You'll get use to making important phone calls on your own, taking kids to doctors appointments on your own, hanging picture frames on your own, running the house on your own. When you're husband is gone for a month on a rural rotation and the house doesn't fall apart and crap still gets done... I'd say you've become pretty independent and strong.
So this post was a shout out to myself.... and all the other independent women who are/have grown and learned along side their Doctor Husbands.  Way to go ladies!

Check out more blogs from some of these strong women (along with others that are living a medical life) on the Medical Mondays Blog Hop!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us today! Med school and residency isn't just about them, it is about us too. You never know what you are capable of until you are tested... and this is one really big test. The good news is that most of us pass with flying colors. I am sure you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not joking when you say we are independent women! I once stood up in a room full of doctors and reminded them to go home and thank their spouses for supporting them, reminded them that when our cars break down (unlike other wives) our first call is not to our husband, but to either a family member, friend, or towing company!
    So happy to see you on the Medical Monday link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kandice! Visiting from the MM, thanks for visiting my blog too! At least I hope it was you as you're the only Kandice on the list :D lol Hope when you guys find out the place you're going for residency that its the one you want the most! I know the feeling of being nervous! :)

    ReplyDelete