Thursday, October 3, 2013

And the Saga Continues Part 2

So my last post finished up on Tuesday, September 17th, the day of my first surgery, the D&C. We thought we would be in the clear and that it was finally time for us to begin healing and moving on. I didn't have much pain Tuesday or Wednesday, just a little acheyness so I tried to rest and relax as much as I could while I had my mom (her plan was to catch a flight Saturday to head back to Oklahoma).

Well Wednesday afternoon roles around and I get yet another dreaded call from my doctor. The pathology report was in from my D&C, and there were no "products of conception" in what was sent to the Pathology lab after my D&C on Tuesday. Anything that was in my uterus had been passed on it's own already, yet my beta remained SO high. This was confirmation that there was for sure an ectopic pregnancy. 

My doctor instantly got the ball rolling for me. In over 85% of cases,  shots of a medicine called Methotrexate will resolve the ectopic pregnancy without surgery. Because of such a high success rate with that, we felt confident in trying the shots before surgery (because with surgery came the chance of loosing a tube). He wanted me to get the shot first thing in the morning so that the process could be started.

Thursday, September 19th we woke up before the sun and headed to the hospital. Our doctor had left the script for us in one of the doctor lounges so Daniel could just go by there and get it instead of having to wait for the offices to open at 8am (perks to being married to a doctor for sure). We got our script and checked into the ER. Because it's such a serious medication (it's also used alongside other medications in chemotherapy) it wasn't as simple as walking in and getting a shot and walking out. I was also told it would burn really bad but in all honestly it wasn't that awful. I had prepared myself for a lot worse. The on call doctor came in and did a quick exam on me, I got my shots (one in each... *clear throat*  "cheek".... yeah that was fun), got some medication to help with nausea that's often associated with the shot, and headed out.

The plan after the shot was this....  I would have the first shot on Thursday, a second shot and beta done on Sunday, a check up with my doctor on Monday, and then betas done every Wednesday until they got below 5. I was told that about 3-4 days after my first shot (so probably around Sunday) I would have what was called "separation pains". Because of this, my mom decided to expand her trip just a few more days. We were all worried that Daniel (who was working the night shift this month) would be at work and I would be at home alone with Dax when the pain hit.

Little did we all know how thankful we would be that she expanded her trip. We had no idea what was in store for us in the coming few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment