Monday, October 10, 2011

More Montessori Updates!

Well we're night four of our switch and it has gone just awesome! We haven't had any problems with Dax putting himself to sleep in his new big boy bed! The only issue we've had is him rolling off in the middle of the night and not being able to find his way back to his bed in the dark. So to try and fix that issue we're trying out a new nightlight tonight to see if it helps.  Other than just sleeping going great I've seen other changes too. Dax plays in his room a large amount more now than he ever did before. I think it's just simply much more inviting and exciting to him than it was before. We also added all of these bad boys yesterday and he loves to go in and touch and look at them...



I'm hoping to try and do an art project with Dax at least every other weekend to keep things updated in his room. Right now it's just a couple things we painted over the summer and a couple items he did at school. My friend Lauren who has a little girl just over a month younger than Dax has also made the switch to a Montessori inspired room and gave me the awesome idea of hanging pictures of our family by Dax's bed. I love the idea that he can lay in his bed and look at us. He absolutely adores these pictures and goes over and just really inspects them and points at people. The family collage I made at Walgreen's with a coupon that got it free for me. It's an 8x10 collage of all of Dax's cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, his puppies, and our "extended" family in Kentucky :)
Dax is all over the place when he sleeps and the first night we heard lots of bumping and banging on the wall. So to fix that problem we put our body pillow that was just laying on our extra bed in our office between his mattress and the wall. It's the perfect size and has worked wonderfully!

I also already changed things a bit on his shelves. I added wooden stacking rings on the bottom of his shelves that were put up in his closet because a month ago it caused him frustration. Well I got them down, Daniel helped him some once, and now he just loves them and is getting really good at them. I also put the foam letters that spell his name on top of the shelf and he really enjoys taking those down and playing with them. I'm starting to try and get letters in where ever I can (these foam letters and letter magnets on his closet door) so he starts getting familiar with them. I also moved his sensory basket to his tall bookshelf and have a puzzle and shape sorter on the bottom shelf.
And here's the updated pic! I'll be sure to continue to keep you guys updated on how things are going! I started collecting some pinecones, twigs, leaves, and acorns and will add those in the mix soon!

Meanwhile here's an activity we did today! I brought home an empty Kleenex box from school and Dax was instantly interested in sticking his hand down in there! So I threw in some q-tips and made it a fine motor activity! This video caught the very end of him playing (which last for about 5 minutes) but you can see his little brain just a working away!  It's the simplest things!

No comments:

Post a Comment