Thursday, October 27, 2011

October = Horrifying

So October has not been our month that's for sure...

A couple weeks ago we went to a fantastic first birthday party at the pumpkin patch for Dax's sweet friend McKinley.  Daniel had to work late so ended up stopping by right before we left to pick up a couple pumpkins for the house. Well it's dark by now, we have the perfect pumpkins, and our boy is starting to get sleepy. So Daniel walks us to the car, we strap little man into his new big boy car seat, we close the door and I hug Daniel goodbye.  Now's when the story gets exciting horrifying...

I walk around to the drivers side door.... won't open.
Walk around to the three passenger doors.... won't open.

I quickly begin panicking but somehow realize I have to stop Daniel before he gets in his car and leaves. So I shout across the parking lot... like really, across the parking lot and he comes back and I (with my head hanging low... like worst mom of the year low) tell him the predicament we're in.
I quickly begin panicking... like almost hyperventilating, can't think straight, if Daniel-wouldn't-have-been-there-just-starred-at-the-car  kind of panicking. Thank God he's as level headed as he is because I would have just stood by the car pacing for an hour without him.
He quickly decided that it would be much quicker to just call the fire department to come rather than one of us drive home and get the spare keys... so he did just that.
About 5 minutes later we hear and see this full size fire truck coming down the rode with the lights on and everything (if I wasn't so panicked I would have been completely embarrassed btw). Out come about 6 big firefighters.... all with little smirks on their faces and shaking their heads at me. At this point Daniel also was laughing at me so I calmed down and began laughing at myself a bit as well.  I mean no one was in any sort of distress besides me... it was nice and cool out and our sweet little boy was as happy as could be the entire time and was playing peek-a-boo with his blanket through the windows at us.

At the time... completely mortifying.... now... absolutely hilarious and will be a great story to tell when Dax gets older.  :)

Now Horrifying October example #2....

last Wednesday Daniel and I both got phone calls from Dax's school saying Dax had fallen and hit his mouth on the tables in his classroom. Neither of us worried too much because they had got the bleeding to stop and he had calmed down. We peeked at it (as much as a 1 year old will let you lift up his lip and look at his gum) and you could see a spot about 1/2 inch where he busted it but it didn't look too awful. 
Everything seemed to be just fine with it... he was eating just fine, wasn't too swollen, and other than being a little sensitive when I wiped his nose for a couple days it didn't seem to bother him..

Well Monday night I was getting him ready for bed and noticed this precious little sight in his mouth...

yep.... that would be two of his top teeth (top middle and right incisor) showing through the front of his gums. Talk about panic.... geez Loise! That was a scary sight for sure.  First thing the next morning we got an appointment with a pediatric dentist.
Daddy took him to the dentist Wednesday afternoon (I have a very, very limited number of days I can miss student teaching and I need to save them for days when I may be sick).  We thought for sure they would have to sedate him or something to take a peak (you would completely understand if you had seen the way this boy fights like a UFC fighter at the doctors office... like doctor has to lay on top of him to look in his ears kind of fight). But apparently this dentist was just awesome and took a peak without even a single tear (she played with him a little first before checking him out... such a good idea ps).
Thankfully she doesn't think it's a huge deal and doesn't think they'll be any permanent damage. We'll go back in three months to see how it looks then.  Dax also got his very cute first toothbrush... a.dor.a.ble.

Well there are about 4 days left in October... hopefully not too much more could happen before then right?!  I'll leave you with this little precious picture of our boy at the lake this past weekend... he thought mawmaw & pawpaw's bar stools were pretty much the best thing ever to play under... he also has wolverine bed hair... it's pretty precious.... enjoy my friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment