Monday, January 30, 2012

Godspeed Little Man

Today our little boy is 17 months old! I just realized that I haven't done an update on him for a month and a half and so much has happened since then!
This little boy makes me so, so, so incredibly happy. There are really no words to describe the feelings he gives me... all I know is I love them. No matter how busy or stressful my day has been, he can instantly make it better. It's incredible. He's incredible.
And he amazes me each day with all he's doing and how smart and loving and just plain wonderful he is (not that I'm partial or anything).  I know I sound like a ranting momma when I write these things but I just want to remember (in writing) all of the amazing things he's doing each month... because, boy, does it go fast.

* Dax is completely task oriented. It's actually pretty ridiculous. I often catch myself just shaking my head and laughing at the things he does. Things have a certain spot and way that they should go (this includes the food on his plate.... which should not mix).  And if you mess with it... he'll fix it. He likes toys and experiences that have a direct result and that allow him to really see cause and effect. He's fascinating to watch.
* He ways almost 27 lbs and is 31 inches long! Such a chunker!
* He's great at scribbling. And he doesn't like to use crayons or markers... he much rather work with pens or pencils (which I LOVE by the way!) I think he'll fit right in at his new school in the fall :)
* Talking is insane. Like literally out of control. He repeats anything and everything you say.  He has a huge vocabulary of words now that he uses regularly (like 20+) and combines 2 words often (occasionally 3). Even his teachers at school comment on how vocal he is. I guess his screaming fits at 6 months old should have been an indication that he was going to speak his mind as soon as he could! Some of my favorite things he says are please, thank you, nah nah, strawbees, puppy, and chey chey.
* He absolutely adores his dogs! He officially calls our big dog by name (Sadie) and our little dog "Puppy". He never refers to her by name.... just puppy. It's precious. He will also let me know when their dog dishes are empty... he's a good brother :)


* My parents came in town last weekend and we made our first trip to the aquarium. We loved it! Especially the parts where we got to touch things in the water!
* He loves school. Just loves it. When we pull in the parking lot in the morning he starts saying "school school" and tells everyone hi on the way in. At the end of the day he tells everyone on his way out bye bye and blows kisses. The other day his little friend Blake was watching me get Dax's coat on him to leave and Dax said "bye bye Blake" and Blake said bye bye back and then they started blowing kisses to each other. Melt.My.Heart.
* Points to his eyes, nose, ears, head, mouth, teeth, tongue, toes, fingers, belly, and hair when asked.
* The boy is strange. He loves hats, shoes, and socks. Most toddlers really enjoy just taking these things off.... but he insist on wearing them most of the time.
* He has started really liking to play pretend. He loves getting bags (or anything with a handle for that matter), keys, or daddy's watch and walk around saying bye bye. He also pretends his food is a car and "drives it around on his tray. Adorable.
* We have a potty we've began introducing. We are not by any means beginning the potty training process.... just trying to get him comfortable with it. He enjoys sitting on it and once actually peed in it. He knows the sign for potty now so that's pretty cool :)
* Temper tantrums have got much better. About a month ago they were hard core. Everything led to a melt down... at least it felt that way to us. I've really worked with him on validating his feelings and using words with him and encouraging him to use words and showing him that there are other ways to get help or tell me what he needs. We still have them every now and then and I just try to breath and keep my calm and remember why he's having them.
* He loves to brush his teeth.... and will do it multiple times a day on his own. Speaking of teeth.... we now have two on the bottom, two top molars, and his two from middle teeth! We are slowly but surely getting there. We also went back to the dentist to check his battle wounds from his fall at daycare (read about that here). She said one of them might be a little stuck but she wants to see him back in 6 months when it has grown in a little more to see if we need to talk about surgery or anything. Prayers that that doesn't happen would be awesome!
* Likes to play with buttons, dials, doors, pouring, and scooping. I think he's going to be like daddy in wanting to know how everything works.
* Food has been interesting. This boy is picky... but in a good way I guess. It's a blessing for sure... but sometimes it's not very convenient. Restaurants don't always have the healthy options that Dax prefers... and good Lordy
* Will tell you the sounds of a cow, sheep, horse, fish, dog, elephant, monkey, lion, tiger, bird, and crocodile.
* Sleep.... oh precious sleep. Between teething and being sick we've had a lot of sleepless nights. This last week (he had RSV... which I'll talk more about in a minute) I spent two night sleeping on the floor next to his bed... waking up every 30-60 minutes with him. It.was.awful.
* He's really exploring movement with his body. He's walking backwards, stopping his feet, spinning in circles, and has started the rave-like motion with his hands. It's so fun to watch him explore his body!

Ok... now RSV. Ugh. So a year ago (almost to the date) Dax had a his first few visits the ER with RSV. Well Tuesday evening he started running a fever (low.. like 101). I stayed home with him Wednesday and took him to the doctor. Well the doctor couldn't really listen to his lungs because he was crying (he now has a fear of anyone in scrubs or white coat) and decided that maybe it was a nasty cold, maybe turning into bronchitis (this wasn't our normal doctor by the way). We got some antibiotics and headed home. Over the next few days the cough continued to get worse, runny nose continued to get worse, ear were draining pretty good (thank God for the tubes or I'm sure we would have had another ear infection), his breathing got really labored, and his fever spiked to 104 a couple times. We both knew at this point that it was RSV again. It was the same exact symptoms as last time. On Thursday he actually didn't eat or drink anything but a waffle all day. It was pretty scary because he was showing some beginning signs of dehydration, but luckily Friday morning he began drinking again. The difference between this time and last time was that Daniel was now experienced enough and comfortable enough to assess Dax at home and treat him ourselves (for RSV there's nothing you can do but watch their breathing and hydration). So we began giving him breathing treatments a few times a day, Tylenol when his fever got high, and lots of fluids.  I guess Daniel knew what he was doing (shhh don't tell him I said that) because Dax is doing better. Fever is down, runny nose isn't as bad, breathing is drastically better, and cough isn't as bad. RSV is no fun (it's actually super scary to me) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the last time we get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment