Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition: It's in the details...

So in addition to the dry erase board and library decor, here are a few more of my favorite details of the room... all of which were homemade and super, super cheap!

 This table set up was super cheap. The bamboo placemat was a set of four found at Ross for like $5.00 (for four). The vase with flowers I put together with materials from Dollar Tree for a total of $3.00. The napkins were a set of two at Dollar Tree for $1.00, and the napkin rings were homemade by me using construction paper, twine, and hot glue.
 Our construction pictures in our construction area. The kids love the pictures and it was a great use of this "climbing" space.
 Here's the other placemat! It looks adorable under these wooden instruments I scored in the dollar section at Target!
 So this is on our sign in table! If you notice the upper right corner you see ribbon that I put around the dry erase board. I thought it made it look a little less cold and more welcoming. I also wanted something cute to put pens in for the parents. I had clear plastic cups so dressed it up using a little twine, ribbon, hot glue, and a couple flowers left over from the table project.
 And yet another placemat makes and appearance in science. The plant was perfect for this small shelf in science and the placemat just made it look that much cuter! Around the edges of the shelf are science related books.
 You know me and my pinecones... had to throw a couple in somewhere! 
Our writing desk! Isn't this little bitty desk adorable?!  I think it's possibly the cutest piece of furniture I've ever seen.  I added an alphabet sign I found in the room around the top to try and encourage some practice with forming letters. Also got the little pen holder at Dollar Tree... if you can't tell I LOVE that place!
 So I don't have a great picture.... but I wanted to mention the twine I used to hold the curtains back!  I didn't think to buy anything to pull the curtains back with on each side so as a spur of the moment fix I just tied a nice big bow on each side with twine. I love the way it turned out!
And the last thing..... "Our Plan" chart, "Helper Chart", and our classroom agreements. The pictures on the plan chart will be replaces with pictures of the kids doing the activities and a little star will move along the pictures as we come to each activity in the day. Our helper chart with feature a picture of each child held up with the clothespins by their job for the week.


Well that's the end of my classroom takeover on the blog!! I'm sure I'll be posting about new things here and there as the days go on but for now we'll be back to the usual post about life and Dax :)

No comments:

Post a Comment