Sunday, February 19, 2012

Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition: The Reveal!

So this post is going to be majorly heavy in pictures.... but here is my *almost* finished room! We've been up and running for a week now and I am really loving it. It's very calming and that is def. reflected in my kiddos.... who, by the way, are absolutely adorable and wonderful. They're truly a great, great group of 2 and 3 year olds. Also impressive from this first week.... my Spanish! I've learned more in one week than I did in two years of college. I'm able to put together a couple full sentences and know enough to get the little ones to do what I'm needing them to do. It's so ingrained in me already, that I've caught myself saying things in Spanish to Dax (I say it in English and then immediately repeat myself in Spanish... just like I do in my class, it's pretty sad). There are still minor things that will be changing over the next few weeks (art work hung up, pictures of the children on the walls, a few more furniture pieces and toys I'm still waiting for, etc) but I really am liking it so far!
 I'll start with some before shots....
 The starts of my room.... and this is already 10 times better than what it looked like the first day I walked in. This is almost the entire room. If you kept panning to the left you would see our cubbies, lunch tables, sign in, and door.
 This will be construction area.
 This will be dramatic play.
This space, after lots of love... will be library and safe place.

Ok.... here it is after lots of love and hard work.... *almost* perfect!
 Parents sign in on the left, kids will sign in on the little board on the right (they'll put their picture either under the picture of the school or of a house)

 Library! I'm hoping to get a small rug soon. And the clear thing on the wall will display pictures of the kids reading.
 Safe place. The white cube has our breathing techniques in it and the colored ones will have family pictures in them once I get them all done.
 Dramatic play!  Since this picture we got a really pretty vintage-y rug which the table is now centered on. We'll also be getting a new kitchen set.
 Construction!  To keep the kiddos from climbing on the bars I "clotheslined" some construction pictures on them. Hopefully they'll inspired the kids to build some really awesome things... preferably ramps :)
 Another view of construction. Lego table, wooden animals and buildings, and large soft blocks.
 Science!  A sensory table will go right in the center once it gets delivered. Where the plant is now will be a fish tank in the near future.
Group area.... that's the main purpose of the space, but we also have balls here, our rocking horse, and instruments.

Well that's a peak of almost every center! I just realized that I don't have one of our atelier (art) and our writing center, manipulative's area, and gross motor. I'll get some of those soon! I have some home made (cheap) details in the room that I particularly love so they'll be a post on those in the near future :)

3 comments:

  1. I love that cube thing where you crawl in through the circle... so neat! so, being a teacher, do you have to buy most things for your class (like furniture and rugs and things) or how does that work? This post made me curious! :) You're doing such a great job... it's obvious this is something you were meant to do, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's so you :)Congrats on your classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks stacy!!!

    And it depends on where you teach melissa. Like in public schools if you want anything besides desk then you have to buy it all. And in most preschools they'll buy you furniture and toys but that's pretty much it. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that buys anything and everything I need (furniture, rugs, etc). I still buy things here and there just b/c i can't pass up a good deal. I get a $50 allowance each month to buy whatever I want for my room so that's super nice too. The place I work at is the exception that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete