Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Little Step By Step....

A new baby in the family means time for some serious craft time.  The following is my newest project for my great nephew Kason due the end of July. For his brothers room I made these little jewels to match his bedding
While I must admit I'm not too shabby at painting, I wasn't even going to try to attempt to paint letters to match Kason's bedding.... which happens to be Mossy Oak camo. So instead I took a new twist and it ended up in a process like this...
All of the supplies! I bought 2 packs of 3 small painting canvas' for $1.99, wooden letters for .99 each, I had the glue gun, and Jess picked up 2 yards of fabric and spray paint.  This was a super cheap and easy project!
The first thing I did was wrap each canvas up in a piece of fabric just like a present.You do have to make sure the front stays smooth so pull super tight before glueing.
tahdah!! All 5 covered canvas'! We did every other letter with a different color fabric to make it a little more exciting.
Next I took the letters outside and spray painted them with one really good coat and let them dry over night in our garage.
This time I used twine instead of ribbon to hang the letters to better fit with the hunting/camo theme. I put a TON of hot glue on the twine so it doesn't fall off after hanging for while. Like a huge dot under the rope and then a layer on top.
I tied each end of the twine together at the top with a cute little bow and to secure that the bow wouldn't come undone I put a small dot of hot glue on the back of the knot.
And this is the finished product! I really like how it turned out and it looks great with the rest of his room decor. One major thing I forgot to take a picture of was glueing the letters on. This part was a little tricky b/c I used a razor blade to cut a small portion of the fabric off so that I could hot glue part of the letter directly to the canvas. I was worried that if I didn't do so The letters would pull on the fabric. Cutting just a pea size part of the fabric off though and glueing directly to the canvas really helped a lot and they felt very secure!
And since we're talking about it.... here's a name I hand painted for my bff a year ago (WOW!)




And here's the one hanging in Dax's room...




Next post will be on my VERY yummy and healthy fruit pizza I made this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment