Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mommy Lifesavers

So my BFF had a post on her blog today about trying to get cleaning done with a needy toddler around the house (you can read that post here ). I can completely relate to how she feels. Things are a lot better now but for awhile I couldn't walk out of Dax's sight without him having a melt down and/or he wasn't happy unless I was sitting next to him playing or holding him. I had to get creative in order to possibly get anything done around the house and came up with these little lifesavers.
Ok... so they really aren't much more than random junk but this trash has become my treasure! I leave these things out on the floor in 1. The kitchen, 2. The bathroom, and 3. My closet.  That way whatever room I'm in Dax can follow me in there and has these new, "exciting" things to play with while I get done whatever needs to get done. I tried just having some of his toys in each of those spaces and he simply wasn't interested. But I think the fact that it's something completely different and not a "toy" keeps his attention and excites him!
In the kitchen I leave a pot out with a wire whisk and whatever else I can find out at the time (usually a lid to some Tupperware or something like that). Dish towels also work for him. In the bathroom it's the lid to my makeup box, accessories to my blow dryer, a brush, the case I carry jewelry in when i travel, and a small Stewie toy he found in his Daddy's office and carried into the bathroom with him. We also keep one of his washable books in there as well. This little kit has been the only way I would ever be able to fix my hair or put makeup on.  And in the closet he has a hat, a necklace, and a hanger. He usually ends up adding shoes to his arsenal as well. This again, is the only way I would be able to get dressed or be able to put laundry away.
So that's how I'm able to get things done. Hopefully this will help someone at some point feel a little more productive. What do you do to deal with your clingy toddler??

1 comment:

  1. love this! thanks for sharing... we have a "bakers box" in the kitchen full of toddler friendly utensils that i can change out. but i love the bathroom box. we've tried toys and of course those get old too fast. ha.

    you're so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete